News & Media
News and Media
Provides a systematic and comprehensive review of existing offset programs. Order the book here.
Click on the menus to the right to access related publications, news, projects and contact persons.
The handbook, entitled Handbook of Carbon Offset Programs: Trading systems, Funds, Protocols and Standards, looks at how offset mechanisms function and the successes and pitfalls they have encountered.
Coverage includes offset programs across the full range of applications including mandatory and voluntary systems, government regulated and private markets, carbon offset funds, and accounting and reporting protocols.
The book is written by SEI US researchers Anja Kollmuss, Michael Lazarus, Carrie Lee and Clifford Polycarp together with Maurice LeFranc (U.S. EPA).
The handbook is an essential reference for all regulators, policy makers, business leaders and NGOs concerned with the design and operation of GHG offset programs world-wide.
Order the book here
Recensions on the book
- This reference work provides a uniquely comprehensive collection of facts and analysis on the numerous offset mechanisms in play across the world. I recommend it to anyone interested in the issue of offsets.
Jean-Jacques Becker, Assistant Director, French Ministry of Energy, Ecology and Sustainable Development
- A must-have resource for state and local policymakers…interested in developing offset policies and programs.
Janice Adair, Special Assistant, Washington State Department of Ecology
- SEI is establishing itself as the "go-to" source for comprehensive, unbiased information about the rapidly changing field of greenhouse gas offsets. This book will be an extremely valuable reference in a field where the lack of reliable data is a continual challenge.
Alexia Kelly, Senior Associate, Climate and Energy Program, World Resources Institute
- A uniquely comprehensive compendium on greenhouse gas offset programs throughout the world. And a wonderful reference for anyone from project developers to treaty negotiators.
Michael Gillenwater, Dean, Greenhouse Gas Management Institute
- This book provides a comprehensive overview of existing greenhouse gas offset programs with a keen eye to issues, options and alternatives. Policy makers, stakeholders and those interested in the development of a comprehensive market for greenhouse gas emission reductions, will find it a useful reference.
Janet Peace, Vice President for Markets and Business Strategy, Pew Center on Global Climate Change
- This book provides an excellent overview of the rules for offsetting projects in different programs around the globe. It should be a definitive reference for anyone who wants to understand the key issues and differences in the various offsetting schemes.
Lambert Schneider, Oeko-Institut