While internships are generally open to all, priority is given to matriculated university students for whom an internship is either part of their curriculum or a thesis project. We welcome applications from those that have a specific interest that is of relevance to/overlaps with the work of SEI. In general, we expect you to have some prior knowledge of the research area in which you will be working.
As an example: if you want to intern with the China Cluster, we are primarily looking for someone with a documented China interest - language studies, project work, exchange studies, etc.
Please browse the SEI website for research themes, current projects and staff list to find out more about what we do.
Generally, two internship periods are offered each year: January to June (Spring Internship) and August to December (Autumn Internship). Applications are on-going all year, but interviews and decisions will be made in November for the Spring Internship and in April for the Autumn Internship. Exceptions can be made based on individual discussions should the applicant or SEI research team have special requirements concerning the timing of the internship.
While the specific design of the internship is individually based, there are two general types. One is mainly based on initiative from the applicant that falls within the core interests and expertise of SEI. This could include the writing of a Master Thesis. The other is project based with clearly defined internship tasks within the scope of our ongoing work.
For either type, we assume that you are fully funded and insured by external sources for the full duration of your stay at SEI as we can only offer un-paid internships and no work-related insurance. Please note that SEI does not provide housing, and can unfortunately not assist in finding accommodation.
Your application should include a cover letter, a CV and three references (names, affiliation and contact details).
In you cover letter, please state:
- What researcher/research theme you are interested to intern with.
- What you would like to do during your internship (feel free to outline specific tasks and achievement goals)
- What type of internship you are interested in
- During what time period you would like to join SEI
- How your internship will be funded
- If you come from outside Sweden please state what kind of insurance you are fully covered by when travelling and on our premises. Normally it is either by your university’s insurance or by private insurance.