Telephone: +44 1904 322892
Regional Air Pollution In Developing Countries (RAPIDC)The overall objective of RAPIDC is to contribute to solving air pollution problems in the key regions of interest (South Asia plus Iran and the SADC region).
RAPIDC aims to facilitate the development of agreements and/or protocols to implement measures which prevent and control air pollution through promoting international cooperation and developing scientific information for the policy process’.
RAPIDC results and outcomes
- an inter-governmental agreement in South
- Asia addressing regional air pollution issues
- a regional network in Africa of governments and scientific institutions collaborating to assess air pollution issues and develop protocols on air pollution through SADC
- the first regional monitoring network in countries of South Asia monitoring sulphur, nitrogen, ozone, particulate pollution in remote sites to investigate regional air pollution
- the first impact studies on the regional nature of the ozone problems on crops in South Asia and southern Africa, which included experiments to show the degree of air pollution induced yield reductions in key crops and the first modelling of the potential economic loss from yield reductions in South Asia
- the demonstration of air pollution impacts on children in Dhaka in a study organised by the government with implications discussed by all governments at an IG meeting
- integrated assessment tools for regional air pollution including emission inventories for countries in each region, application of atmospheric transport models and linkage to key regional impacts
- policy advice on the potential of different measures and policies to reduce air pollution;
- dissemination of material to stakeholders in the region about the problems and potential solutions to air pollution problems
- the development of scientific networks on monitoring and modelling, crop yield losses and corrosion which have created south-south and north-south linkages
External web site: http://sei-international.org/rapidc/